A therapeutic treatment center for adolescents ages 12 through 18, Gateway offers a refuge and rebuilding time for children with severe emotional problems, often as a result of abuse or neglect. While at Gateway, residents are involved in counseling, school, therapeutic activities and other programs designed to help each child recover and readjust. For general information and/or a referral, please contact our Centralized Intake department at 205-510-2755.
Stays at Gateway generally range from six months to one year. During this time, residents and their families:
- participate in treatment programs designed specifically for each child and family by a multidisciplinary team.
- learn to redefine their trauma in healthy ways.
- participate in fun activities that increase self-esteem and encourage reintegration into the community.
- focus on their strengths and the skills needed to live as a family and a part of the community.
- work on building significant relationships with others.
- participate in individual, group and family therapy.
- learn independent living skills.