Gateway’s Independent Living Program
Through this program, we offer young adults the opportunity to learn about the world in a realistic, yet supportive environment. We provide the role modeling, life-skills training and assistance we hope will help these at-risk young people become contributing, stable adults.
How It Works
- Program participants live independently in agency-leased apartments.
- Qualified Gateway staff provides regular life-skills training and support and is available 24-hours a day to provide emergency assistance.
- Participants must be in school or employed, and must gradually demonstrate the ability to assume full responsibility for their daily lives.
In order to make the transition a successful one, participants must learn the skills they need to function in the adult world. To accomplish this and to help residents become independent and responsible adults, we offer a variety of educational programs designed to teach them the following:
- Managing a budget
- Seeking and holding a job
- Learning how to use public transportation
- Shopping for quality and value
- Maintaining a clean living space
- Planning and cooking nutritious meals
- Establishing a community support system
- Parenting for teen mothers and fathers