In 1891 and before they had the right to vote, a group of courageous women recognized the need to house homeless children and mothers on the streets of Birmingham. Significantly ahead of their times, they founded the city’s first orphanage and social services agency. One hundred and twenty-eight years later, Gateway continues the innovative legacy of our founders as Alabama’s leader in family solutions. Our mission is clear and simple:
Gateway is a game changer for Alabama children and families.
Gateway pioneers leading-edge programs, based in the latest knowledge of trauma, brain science and behavioral healthcare. By providing proven mental health, financial counseling and foster care services for children and families, we are able to solve many of Alabama’s most difficult problems:
- In one year, Gateway has kept 146 families together through counseling
- Gateway school therapists have improved at-risk student performance and behavior, increasing their grades to "B" averages
- Gateway financial counselors have helped families pay back more than $69 million of debt
- Gateway foster parents and staff made it possible for more than 140 foster children to find forever families in the last five years
- Gateway exceeds national statistics helping foster youth graduate from high school and become employed before age 21
Whether you need help or you are interested in proven solutions, we hope you take the time to learn more about Gateway and how you can join us as a game changer for children and families.