In 1891 and before they had the right to vote, a group of courageous women recognized the need to house homeless children and mothers on the streets of Birmingham. Significantly ahead of theirtimes, they founded the city’s first orphanage and social servicesagency. One hundred and twenty-six years later, Gateway continuesthe innovative legacy of our founders as Alabama’s leader in familysolutions. Our mission is clear and simple:
Gateway is a game changer for Alabama children and families.
We lead transformational change through three key objectives:
1. Make sure families are first in the conversation.
2. Deliver world-class outcomes, better and faster than anyone else.
3. Partner with other game changers to move the needle.
many of Alabama’s most difficult problems:
- In one year, Gateway has kept 146 families together through counseling
- Gateway school therapists have improved at-risk student performance and behavior, increasing their grades to "B" averages
- Gateway financial counselors have helped families pay back more than $69 million of debt
- Gateway foster parents and staff made it possible for more than 140 foster children to find forever families in the last five years
- Gateway exceeds national statistics helping foster youth graduate from high school and become employed before age 21
Whether you need help or you are interested in proven solutions, we hope you take the time to learn more about Gateway and how you can join us as a game changer for children and families.